Thursday, June 10, 2010

Becoming a Trophy Wife with the Housekeeping Handbook..

I keep wondering when this whole blog situation will take off for me. Don’t get me wrong I love to blog, but sometimes it gets a little overwhelming. I feel like I have no time to sit down and write about life.

So here’s to round three and hoping I don’t strike out!

I have been reading this fabulous book (partly my inspiration for the return to blogger world). It’s called the Housekeeping Handbook by Martha Stewart. Yes, I am a Martha Stewart snob. I feel like everything she touches is gold. Not because her name is branded so well, but because she spends a lot of time doing research before she starts a project and definitely before she wrote this book. I have always wanted to be the wife/mom that kept her house in pristine order- where everything is right where you thought it would be, there were no stains in the carpet, and no clutter in the closets.



I can tell you right now that I am far from Martha Stewart status. I consider myself a beginner. My latest worries include:

1. My Chihuahua that is not house-broken and just turned 3 years old. (I adopted him.) He currently loves the leg of the table that sits in the middle of the living room. I have the cheapest carpet ever in my apartment and stains literally don’t come out nor can you see them unless you are suspecting something or smell something. I’ve tried EVERYTHING!

2. There is a black mold, maybe, I think…. building up in one corner of the shower. I tried Clorox shower cleaner, Scrubbing Bubbles, a scouring pad, Clorox regular – nothing is making this nasty stuff go away.

3. My disposal does not work right. I don’t know how to describe it. Maybe since my mom has an ultra powerful one I think they should all work that way, but mine is definitely not chopping up things fast enough. The kitchen sink fills up with everything and I literally have to spoon it down the drain. The good thing is that it doesn’t smell.

4. Strawberry Lemonade. Shane and I are trying out all these recipes to make this yummy drink. We are on a healthy kick trying not to drink soda or super sugary drinks. The problem is that he doesn’t like at least one ingredient I put in it every time I make a new recipe. I think the latest one was my favorite recipe, but he didn’t like the sparkling water in it. I even used the freshest produce from Whole Foods. Here’s the recipe by Emeril Lagasse:



Ingredients:

• 2 cups water
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
• 1 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
• 2 cups cold sparkling water or club soda
• Ice
• Mint sprigs, garnish
• Whole strawberries, garnish

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon peel and lemon juice, stir, and remove from the heat. Let cool completely, then strain into a clean pitcher.

In a blender, puree the pint of strawberries and add to the pitcher with the lemon juice. Stir well to combine and refrigerate until well chilled.

Add the sparkling water and stir well. Pour over glasses filled with ice and serve, garnished with mint and strawberries.


I’ll try to remember to give an update on how these issues are working themselves out. Tonight I am going to get the little one a new cage for his size so that I can start crate training him like he was a puppy. He still acts like one.


Well I’m off to the Posh Spot to get a well deserved mani/pedi. I think I'll do Lucky Lavendar ;-)



Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment