Wednesday, September 9, 2009
I have been using my nike plus chip for about 3 years now. I've gone through about 7 of them - due to my dog taking the chip out of my shoe and chewing it up. For the most part I would say that the chip is pretty accurate. Recently, however, I purchased a new one and it has been a pain in the *** trying to calibrate it. I noticed it was way off - telling me I had run a mile when on the trail it had only been a little over a half. So... I calibrated it on the trail.
Tonight I was running on the treadmill at 8 mph and after I ran the first mile I noticed my chip was only at half a mile. It also said I was running 11 minute miles - which I know I wasn't. Sometimes I want to throw my whole ipod in the river but there are reasons that I don't:
1. If I'm running somewhere that isn't marked it gives me some clue as to how far I have run.
2. If I just want to run for a certain time - I can just use the time settings.
3. It's fun to do challenges against your family and friends.
4. I LOVE when Lance Armstrong tells me how good I've done after a work out.
and last but not least
5. It's a great way to journal all of your running and look back at your progress.
So if you use nike plus think twice before you toss it out. It does have its moments when it makes you happy. :-) Tommorrow I'll try to get to a high school track and properly calibrate it. I'll let you know how that works out..
On another note.... TRAINING HAS BEGUN! Today was the official start to our 18 week program. This is this week's schedule:
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: Cross Training
Sunday: 6 miles
My week is starting a day late - due to Labor Day weekend. Yah for running! :-)